Village Exchange Center
After School Youth Program Volunteer
1 Month Minimum
|Project Term:||During the School Year (August-May)|
|Est. Hours:||Part Time, Varied|
Schedule: Monday- Thursday 4:00- 6:00
One of the programs here at VEC is the After-School Youth Program. This program is designed to work with the youth by providing fun activities, tutoring, healthy snacks and social and emotional support. The After-School program seeks to create a welcoming environment that nurtures children’s need to socialize, learn and experience new things. Students who come from refugee and immigrant families are often low-income households and do not have the necessary support at home. We will construct a program that allows these youth to gain support and confidence that they need to thrive, and are looking for people who are creative, organized, and eager to learn and grow with the youth!
Responsibilities of Youth Program:
- Help to create a fun and respectful atmosphere.
- Help design focused and structured activities.
- Encourage youth engagement and participation.
- Organize classes in areas of interest such as; art, dance, sports, etc.
- Understand that many of these students come from different backgrounds and it is important to be sensitive and maintain an inclusive environment.
- Be mindful of youth’s differences and trauma informed as some students have challenging pasts.
- Create a safe and secure place for the youth to be themselves.
- Support diversity and students identities
Location: 1609 Havana Street, Aurora, CO 80010
Village Exchange Center is a non-profit organization formed to serve immigrants and refugees in the Aurora/Denver metro area. As community center and multi-faith worship space it seeks to celebrate cultural and religious diversity by creating an inclusive environment where residents from all background interact, share and develop together. Through organic and collocated programs, informational services and cultural activities, the center will be a “one stop shop”supporting integration, engagement and empowerment of newly arrived residents. Village Exchange Center has an overarching goal of creating bridges between people and communities, both locally and globally.
Submitting this form does not constitute a commitment, only interest in volunteering. We will reach out with more information shortly after submittal.